Ra Roa and Te Motu were invited to visit Trash Palace, Poly Palace and the Spicer Landfill. The trip was funded by the Porirua City Council and was very educational. Bobby our tour guide was very informative. We learned lots of new things including
- Polystyrene can be recycled into insulation for houses
- Methane and leachate from the landfill is dangerous and is collected and dealt with
- That different plastics have different purposes when they are recycled
- That we should reduce, reduce, reduce, reduce, reuse, reuse and them recycle.
- Recycling takes energy
- New Zealand produces the equivalent of 1000 buses of rubbish every day!
- Glass is sorted into colour, Plastic into number and Steel into type for recycling.
|Checking out Spicer Landfill|
|Poly Palace. Made by genius Richard.|
|Recycling clothing bins|
|Recycled Eftpos outlets used to sort polystyrene.|